Wholegrain tarts with apples and thyme
For the Italian Shortbread
- 220g (1+3/4 cup) whole wheat flour plus more for the work surface
- 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 80g (1/3 cup) butter softened
- leaves from 2 small thyme branches
- a pinch of salt
For the filling
- 2 Val Venosta “Ambrosia” apples
- 4 Tbsp jam of your choice we used strawberry jam
- 1/2 Tbsp laminated almonds
- 1 Tbsp milk
- granulated sugar for dusting
Place all the ingredients for the Italian shortbread
in the bowl of a stand mixer. Knead with the flad beater at medium speed for 3
minutes or until you get a smooth dough. Alternatively you can knead by hand in
a medium bowl: in that case mix the ingredients with a spoon first. Place the
dough in a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Preheat the oven at 180°C (275°F), static.
Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough into a
4-mm-thick oval. Cut out 6 disks, 12 cm diameter each (re-roll the scrapes if
necessary). Use the leftover dough to make cookies.
Core and half the apples, then slice them into 1-to-2-cm-thick slices.
Place 2 tsp of jam and the apple slices at the center of each shortbread disk, leaving a border of 2.5cm. Fold in the borders, lightly brush them with milk and dust with sugar. Sprinkle a few laminated almonds.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until your tarts are evenly golden.